We are going to approach this week’s MAC FIT MOVES a little differently this week! You can approach it in 2 ways, depending on your lifestyle or preference:
· Do all the moves at once, every other day this week.
· Do one pair of moves each day this week, alternating pairs every other day.
· Do the Ab move EVERYDAY if possible. Abs don’t need the recovery day that our other muscles do!
· Front squat to shoulder press
o With the weights resting on the front of your shoulders, sit back into your squat position. (butt back, don’t let your knees go over your toes, chest up!)
o As you stand up, press the weights into the air overhead. This should be a fluid movement.
o Bring the weights back down to shoulders, then repeat.
· Tricep Pushup off counter, or chair.
o You may be getting really good at these by now! If so, try moving yourself down to a sturdy chair, bench, or a sofa arm. Something lower than a counter top. If you are still a the counter top – good for you! You are still doing a great move for your triceps, ladies!
o Remember that your hands are just tighter than shoulder width apart, keep your elbows in, shoulders stay down away from your ears, and push up equally out of both hands. Bodies straight from toes to neck – like a board!
This picture shows no countertop or chair - just shows the correct body position!
Pair # 2:
· Wall sits with Bicep Curl
o With your backs on the wall, lower yourself to a 90 degree angle of your legs (or close).
o With weights at your sides, alternate curling one arm up at a time. Keeping your elbow secure, non-moving.
o Do this until you have done 10 curls on each arm.
· Bent over Row
o You can use either the band or a weight to do this back exercise.
o Take a big step out, and lower yourself so that your front leg is bent, back leg is behind you are relatively straight, and your back is straight from your hips to your neck, and you are looking at the floor in front of you.
o Pull your arm holding weight or band back– pulling your elbow straight back towards the ceiling behind you. Remember to go slow on the way down, and keep your shoulders down away from your ears. *Helpful hint- if you use the weight, rest your coordinating hand on the front leg that is bent, and pull the weight with the opposite hand. If you are using the band – arrange yourself so that you are pulling the band on the same side of your front bent leg!
(Feel free to straighten that back leg and rest on bent front leg... this picture doesn't show that)
AB MOVE OF THE WEEK :
Perfect sit ups!
· Laying on your back with your knees bent, hands behind your head, focus on these 3 things SIMULTANEOUSLY. (OY! – multi tasking exercise? – brain and body work!!)
o Lift pelvis off of floor (Squeezing butt cheeks)
o Pull belly button in towards spine… Suck it in ladies!
o Lift shoulders off floor by thinking about Closing your Rib Cage towards your pelvis!
· When you release this exercise, do not let yourself rest flat on the floor in between. Think about keeping a slight closure of the rib cage during the whole exercise… keep the shoulder’s slightly off the floor! You can do it! J Remember to think about lifting your shoulders off by using your abs, not by pulling your head off the floor with your heands, that will crank the neck in bad ways! And if you do have neck pain, please feel free to relax when needed. You will still get a good workout!